Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What Did You Learn Today?

Why do you like to read? My sister-in-law says she likes to read to veg out~"nothing too serious that makes me have to use my brain." My sister only likes to read things that tell her what time her favorite shows are on. I have lots of friends who only read "Christian" fiction and just as many who shun the genre. I love to read to learn. If a topic interests me, I read about it. Ask my small group friends about our trip to an Amish area. They were ready to throw me out of the van because I kept spouting off bits of Amish trivia. I especially like to read fiction in which I learn about a subject. I just finished a great book that did exactly that. "Keeping Faith" by Jodi Picoult is all about a child who appears to have healing powers and shows stigmata. I had heard the term but really knew very little about stigmata or any other Catholic signs or miracles. I won't give away the story but I really learned a lot about the Catholic faith through this story. Now I spend time googling all kinds of interesting stuff about the historic church. Then when the small group is ready for a trip to Rome or the Holy Land, I will be ready!

QOTD~What good book have you read that taught you about a subject you knew very little about?

3 comments:

kkoois said...

books are for nerds

Anonymous said...

The Berenstain Bears Learn to Share...lol.

ms leo said...

i'm not as much into history or fact books, but i am totally into fiction. though, i do like to read the occasional 'brain candy' too.

currently, i've finished one and a half vonnegut books (very interesting!), about 2/3 of 'the kite runner' (very, no, VERY sad! but also kind of factual - about the afghanistan war ca. 1980's), and couldn't stand the author of a book of essay's i bought (so i haven't read very much of it though i LOVE reading personal essay collections).

so, in short, not so much fact-finding missions, but not brainless entertainment all the time either... that's my style.