Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I Want My MTV

I'm a proud member of the MTV generation. I remember when they played videos all day long. I watched "Remote Control". I permed my hair just like Nina Blackwood and firmly believed that it was Martha Quinn in the "Centerfold" video. (It wasn't.) Then MTV got dumb. Stupid reality shows and lots of flannel ruled in the 90's. Now MTV has made a comeback. Or at least in my little realm of reality.

There are two shows currently running that are truly well-made TV. Seriously. Like should be required viewing for all middle schoolers. Now I know that in my little Christian school world this in not a popular opinion. Heck, I'd probably lose my cheer coaching gig if some parents knew I would encourage their kids to watch (gasp) MTV. "16 and Pregnant" and it's spawn "Teen Mom" are intelligent and realistic without being so over-the-top, scared straight. We watch these girls struggle with the reality of teen parenthood from the pain of watching your friends go off to college without you to the daily reality of bills and colic. I have been on the receiving end of those looks that say "You are an awful mother" when I mention that I allow my daughter to watch such trash. I have watched every episode with Caroline and it has brought up all kinds of discussions. I am under no illusion that my daughters are immune to pre-marital sex and the risks that go with sexual activity. Yes, we teach them abstinence. Yes, they go to a Christian school. Do Christian school kids have sex? Um, yeah. I will use everything in my parental arsenal to help them make the right choices.

Today I watched a new show in MTV's line up. "If You Really Knew Me" focuses on cliques and stereotypes that are predominate in high school. We all remember the cool kids, the nerds, the jocks, the artsy types, the band geeks. I'm looking forward to watching this one with Caroline also. I want to encourage my kids to be who they are, not who they are expected to be by some crazy stereotypes or some box they got put in in fourth grade.

So band with me watch MTV with your kids!

3 comments:

Lori said...

I'm with you on this one! Although Ali is still too young, I've watched a few episodes of "16 and Pregnant" myself and fully intend to sit her down to watch them when she's older! I'm intrigued by this new one; may have to check it out!

Amy said...

We just switched our cable package and were very surprised and encouraged by watching some of the shows on MTV. We watch those you mentioned as well as True Life. I like it how 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom have focused on Katelyn's choices to adopt. It really shows the pros of adopting but shows the costs and trials of it as well.

Mama B said...

Great post! I enjoy Teen Mom (as I was one myself) and If You Really Knew Me! They are both shows that depict real young people struggling with real issuea. I often think about how I would like to watch these shows with my daughters in the future. I think it is a perfect opportunity for conversations about the topics and I love that you are pushing for this even in the Christian world. Way to go! :-)